Wind Turbine Challenge 1.0
Design the fastest spinning Wind Turbine.
Revolutions per minute (RPM)
Relevant STEM Principles:
Rotational inertia, aerodynamic force, torque, area.
- Blade Angle
- Blade Height
- Blade Length
- Number of blades
- Rotational drag decreases with
- Shorter blade length
- Shorter blade height
- Fewer blades
- Larger blade angles (parallel to the wind)
- Power gained from wind stream increases with
- Increasing blade length
- Increasing blade height
- More blades
- Larger blade angles
Design > Build > Test > Repeat until optimized
Design Your Solution:
- Evaluate sample blades when available to understand which parameters perform better.
- Check the leader board for past attempts to see if previous parameter attempts are being provided.
- Find a mentor to help you better understand how the variables interact.
Build Your Design:
- Download the STL file for your design attempt.
- Find a 3D printing source to print your STL file.
Test Your 3D Printed Design:
- Place your finished 3D printed part onto the test stand.
- Measure your results and have them uploaded to the leader board by the event coordinator.
Limited Challenge: Design variables are constrained to print and desktop printers without support material in 15 minutes or less.
Unlimited Challenge: Designs are only limited to interface with 0.25 inch dia shaft and tachometer bushing.
To understand how your design assumptions performed, you will need to “build it” then “test it”. Your test results will help you determine how to adjust your design assumptions to improve your design.
Test Stand Options
- Build Your Own
- Ready To Go
Our Limited challenges are designed to be compatible with most desktop printers.
- Free Online modeler provides STL print files
- Designed will print in 15 minutes or less
- Material usage is minimal
Finding 3D Printing Resources
- In Your Community
- 3D Printer Resellers
Get Your Own 3D Printer
- If you are a regular player, having your own 3D Printer is a great next step.
As the Challenges evolve, we want to provide a space for players and mentors to collaborate on designs and concepts.
A Mentor Forum is…..
We appreciate your patience while we get this online!